My 50 travel goals
This morning I was cleaning my house in the Netherlands. I can hear you thinking, but no worries, this blog is not about cleaning your house. I'm going to sell a lot of my stuff that I don't use anymore at online platforms. From lights and books to clothes and house decorations. Call me crazy but I do this to save more money to travel and to store less stuff for when I'm going to rent it out. Two big tips for long term travelers: sell as much as possible of your old stuff and rent out your home during the time you travel. Or even sell the house, whatever it takes. You need the money!
Back to me cleaning my appartement. It's never the highlight of my day, but today it brought me something that made me realize I'm on the right track. As a little girl I made a list of different activities around the world that I wanted to do. I almost forgot about that list, but I wrote it down in my diary. Love those old days of the handwritten diaries. And guess what I found in my old diary: My list of most wanted travel locations and what I'm going to do there.
Remember, I was a little girl, probably 10 - 11 years old, so in this list were only 11 well known locations and simple activities. Like: drink English tea in England, and: throw a frisbee in Central Park, New York.. So inspiring! But it tells a lot about me and that traveling has always been in my my dream. I also remember now that I once asked Santaclaus for a house at Ibiza. Weird kid ;-)
Now that I have this list in front of me again, I can't help myself to extend the list with what I know now. And of course I wanted to share it here! I made it to 50, and I know that doesn't even cover everything, but it is a great start! The travel goals I have succeeded already are highlighted in a bold font. The rest is of the list yet to come!
Now again, the first 11 were written by the young inspired Josien. I hope the list inspires you to travel (more) as well or maybe it helps you to pick your next holiday destination. Who knows!
Oh and let me know if you have anything to add to the list! Always happy to hear about your travel goals!
- Drink tea in England
- Throw a frisbee in Central Park, New York
- See the Northern Lights in Norway (maybe I should change this into Lapland)
- Celebrate NYE in Sydney --> Fireworks!
- Crush grapes and make my own wine in France
- Go skiing in Austria
- Swim under a waterfall at Tenerife (do they have waterfalls there?)
- Drink beer in Berlin
- See the Olympic flame in Athen
- Party at Ibiza
- Carnaval in Rio
- Burningman in Nevada, USA
- Mid Burn, Israel
- Kite surfing in South Africa
- Halloween in the mountains at the Spanish - Portugese boarder
- Roadtrip in Portugal
- Ride a camel in Marrocco
- See the pyramids in Egypt
- Safari in Kenya
- Climb and walk the Chinese Wall
- Route 66, USA
- Kayaking in Canada
- Transiberia Express Moscow - Peking
- Check out Moai at Easter Island
- Ride a train at Sri Lanka
- Swim at Whitsunday Island, Australia
- La Tomatina in Valencia
- Trekking through Madagascar
- Visit the gate of Antartica: Ushuaïa
- Lost City trek in Colombia
- Husky tour in Finland
- Photograph the amazing waterfalls at Krka Park in Croatia
- Swim in hot springs of Iceland
- Climb a vulcano in Indonesia
- Ride a motorbike in Vietnam
- Trek to Everest Base Camp, Nepal
- Spend a night in a super expensive villa at the Maldives
- Find a snow leopard in Mongolia
- Star in a Bollywood movie, India
- Do a helicopter ride through the Rocky Mountains
- Dance salsa in Argentina
- Sleep under the stars in Nicaragua
- Snorkling at the Gili Islands
- Scream out loud in a rollercoaster at Disneyland Paris
- Sandboarding, anywhere in the world (done: Western Australia)
- Smoke a sigar at Cuba
- Biking through Mexico
- Do a handstand at the beach of Kho Phi Phi, Thailand
- Swim in a rooftop pool in Malaysia
- Find Petra, Jordan
Oh man, I can go on and on with this! Madness! Let's goooo!
Two things before you comment with your travel ideas:
I don't do diving. Breathing under water freaks me the hell out and the idea that there is a whole other world with fast, slippery, poisoning and sharp toothed animals beneath you make me lose my mind. Just thinking about it makes me shiver. Call me a weirdo because I love watersports like surfing, but really... I'm not made to be under water. Done.
Second thing you need to know: I don't visit any so called "taking care of the hurt animals" parks. Simply because I hear too many stories about these parks not being who they claim to be. Forget about the stickers on their front doors saying the have the label of WNF or whatever degree they got from the UN. It appears to be fraud after all. I don't want any pictures of me with an animal which is not in the wild.
Unfortunately I did make the mistake before, but I will never make it again. Period.
This picture is taken at Cuba in 2012, where they were taking care of 'lost dolphins'.